Forest Park Ambassador Program
Forest Park is the epicenter and a “gateway” to a larger system of city and State Parks, State Forests and National Forests around the region. Many of the land use issues that Forest Park faces are shared by our regional counterparts. Because many of the regular users to these larger areas are coming from the Portland/Vancouver region, and the size and visibility of Forest Park, the Forest Park Conservancy has a unique opportunity to promote community stewardship of Forest Park and universal responsible land use that we hope will also improve user behavior on our State and National Forests
The volunteer-led Forest Park Ambassador Program will benefit Forest Park, users, and local communities by improving user behavior and building awareness around responsible recreation on public lands, further a deeper connection to nature, and increase community engagement and stewardship of Forest Park.
Forest Park has 19 trailheads that are frequently accessed every day. With only two rangers, the amount of responsible land use education being promoted is minimal. Forest Park Ambassadors will provide the critically needed education by sharing knowledge about the cultural and natural history, creating a safe and welcoming environment at trailheads, and teach Leave No Trace principles to help promote responsible recreation.
- Serve as a friendly, informative welcome committee at Forest Park trailheads
- Educate users about FPC and our critical role in maintaining, restoring and protecting Forest Park.
- Provide information that helps build awareness around responsible public land use, Leave No Trace, wildfire prevention, off-leash dogs and the importance of wildlife habitat
- Provide useful information about trail access, trail routes, and directions and any other questions about Forest Park of FPC
- Manage the dog leash borrow program for visitors that forget leashes for their dogs
Volunteer Commitment and Benefits
- Fill out an application and sign a volunteer waiver
- Attend required volunteer training
- Participate in a minimum of four shifts (6 hrs. each) between June 1 - September 30
- Each shift is 8:00AM - 2:00PM
- Has transportation to and from the trailhead and can carry equipment.
Perks to Participate:
- NW Forest Pass after completing 24 hours of volunteer service
- “Trailhead Ambassador” technical tee
- The reward of helping protect Forest Park and increasing the number of stewards for Forest Park
- Opportunity to meet people and build communication skills.
If you have any questions about the Forest Park Ambassador Program, please contact our Program Manager Cody at Cody@forestparkconservancy.org
Thank you to KEEN Footwear for being a supporter of the Forest Park Ambassador Program.