Temporary Job Opportunity: Canopy Weeds Field Assistant
Canopy Weeds Field Assistant - Positions Open
Title: Canopy Weeds Field Assistant
Reports to: Program Manager
Work Schedule:5 days/week, 40 hours/week.8am – 4:30pm
Work day begins at 2960 NW Upshur Street in Portland, OR
The Forest Park Conservancy (FPC) restores and protects Forest Park, Portland’s 5200-acre urban forest. FPC maintains trails and removes invasive plants in the park. We also lead educational hikes. Each year, we work with 1,500 volunteers who help us reach our goals. FPC is leading a 20-year initiative to restore Forest Park and 10,000 acres of public and private land surrounding the park. The staff and board have been working to create a welcoming organization committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization.
The Canopy Weeds Field Assistant will learn to identify and remove invasive plants on private property which are harmful to Forest Park. This can be physically hard work but very satisfying! FPC will provide all training and tools needed to be successful.
- Identify and manually remove invasive plants such as English ivy from trees.
- Ensure ivy is removed only from properties where we have permission.
- This person might provide information to property owners from time to time.
- Provide daily progress updates.
- Able to complete physically demanding tasks
- Comfortable working in cold, wet conditions
- Experience working with hand tools and small power equipment
- Ability to walk on steep slopes
COMPENSATION AND DURATION$15 per hour, 40 hours per week from January 14th – April 26th, 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Deadline to submit application is Friday, December 21st, 2018 by 5pm
Please email your resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Canopy Weeds Field Assistant” in the subject line.
The Forest Park Conservancy is committed to creating an inclusive workplace and seeks applicants from diverse backgrounds.